12.01.2016

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush ♥ 12 Days of DIY

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
It's the first day of December which means it's the start of Blogmas and DIY December! As the first 12 Days of DIY project I will be showing you guys how to make a Elf On The Shelf Plush out of felt. For those who aren't familiar with Elf On The Shelf you can read about it here. It's basically an elf that watches your children the days leading up to Christmas. If your kid misbehaves then the elf can report back to Santa, which can effect your Christmas gifts. Everyday the elf chooses a different location to look over your child, some of their spots can be quite comical (Follow them on Instagram to view some of their hideouts!). It's kind of cute but also a creepy concept if you ask me but it's really popular here in the states. Since I happen to have a fascination with creepy and cute things I decided to choose this plush as my first DIY!

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
You will need:
- Pink felt (Choose whatever colors you would like)
- White felt
- Flesh colored felt
- Polyfill stuffing
- Sewing needle
- Copper wire (I used 20 gauge)
- Thread that matches the felt
- Scissors
- Safety eyes (optional, I used 15mm)
- Pins (optional)

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Here are all the measurements of all the felt pieces. The elves are tall and lanky enough so you can see them but they are thin enough to hide anywhere! To be honest I free-cut the head, hat, and trim on the body but I measured afterwards for you guys so they may not be accurate. You will be sewing everything right-side together so add an 1 inch for seem allowance (I added it for you guys in the drawings).

*Don't stuff too much! The arms and legs should be stuffed more but the other pieces should just be just a little bit stuffed.

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Time to sew everything together! This is a very long process so if you have a sewing machine I recommend using that to sew most of the plush but you will still have to hand sew some parts. I would've taken pictures as I was making the plush but it was nighttime when I was making this so the pictures wouldn't have come out well. Hopefully my drawings make sense! I will answer any questions you have in the comment section.

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Arms + Legs
Remember you are sewing everything right-side together! Turn everything inside-out, stuff, add the copper wire and then sew close. I found adding the wire last after stuffing each part was the easiest, just poke the wire through the stuffing, it takes a while for the wire to reach the bottom but just keep trying and it will eventually get there. You only need to add wire to the arms and legs. I used a 20 gauge wire but I recommend using a sturdy thicker wire because the wire I used isn't as easy to bend as I hope it would've been.

Body
For the body I sewed the two white pieces together (leaving the bottom open), turned the piece inside-out and then I glued the pink detail over the piece and then sewed it on. Stuff and sew the opening closed.

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Head
For the head you are going to do the same thing you've been doing. Sew most of the circle together and then leave a good amount of space open before turning the piece inside-out. I used safety eyes but you can sew on eyes, buttons, cut pieces out of felt or whatever you want! I marked the position of my eyes with a pen so that I could remember where to apply the safety eyes. Using scissors I cut out a small hole where the pen marks were and applied the eyes. Then stuff and sew.

Hat
Do the same sewing technique you used for the legs and arms to sew the white part on the hat. For the tip of the hat I used a pom pom made of white felt. I simply cut out two circle pieces and glued them together (I couldn't find my sewing needle at the time I was making the pom pom so I just glued the two felt pieces together but it would be better if you sewed it instead). You can also use an actual pom pom, I didn't have one so I made my own!

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Assembly
Reference the directions on the picture above. I sewed the legs first, then legs, hat on head and finally head on body. For the arms I used a sausage style technique to stitch the arms onto the body. This way the arms can move wherever they want. Sew the hat on the head and the head on the body. You can stuff the head and hat more so that they stand up more and doesn't just flip-flop around the rest of the body.

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
You are finished! This may have taken me longer then I wanted it to but I'm happy with the end result! Now go and hide your plush for the little ones to find!

Elf On The Shelf Felt Plush DIY
Have you heard of the Elf On The Shelf?

post signature


No comments:

Post a Comment