12.02.2014

Crochet Advent Calender Pattern ♥ 12 Days of DIY

Today is the first day of 12 Days of DIY! This month I have 12 DIY projects that I will be posting on my blog, most of these Do It Yourself projects are either Christmas related (like decor) or would make a great Christmas gift for somebody. Not all of the DIY projects will be crochet related but most are (because I love posting crochet patterns). I am so excited to share my projects with you all starting with this first DIY, the crochet advent calendar!

The first 12 Days of DIY project was inspired by a gift I received last year by my sister. She knitted me a mini tea bag cozy so I decided to make my own crochet version of the tea cozy she made me and make 24 more to make a tea advent calender. You can put whatever you want inside the calender it doesn't have to be tea you can use whatever you want. Originally I wanted to post this pattern in November but life got in the way and I wasn't done with it so I decided to make it one of my 12 Days of DIY projects instead.

By the way I didn't even notice that I put 17 before 16 until now! But I changed the buttons now so the numbers are where they're suppose to be now. Make sure you don't make the same mistake as me!

You will need:
- Yarn (you can choose whatever colors you want I used various rainbow colors but Christmas colors would look nice too)
- H/5.0 mm crochet Hook
- Wooden buttons (or number buttons if you can find some)
- Pen or marker (only if you are using wooden buttons)
- Thread
- Needle
- Yarn needle
- Scissors
- Thicker yarn and a larger hook that works with your thick yarn.
- 25 things you want to put inside your advent calender

Abbreviations + tips
ch - chain
st(s) - stitch(es)
sc - single crochet
dec - decrease

*This project does take a long time to make so if you plan to make this in time for a Christmas/holiday party I would recommend you to start right away!
*You can use glue to make sure the buttons stay in place while you are sewing
*If something doesn't seem right let me know and I will fix the pattern.

Crochet Advent Calender Cozy (make 25)
- Ch 13
- Sc starting from the 2nd ch from your hook, sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 12 sts
- Sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. (repeat 28x times) Total = 12 sts
You should have a total of 30 rows by now
Fold your work in half and start working 13-14 sc sts on the left side, this will quickly sew the side for you without using a needle!
Cut off

Insert your hook to the bottom of the right side of your cozy and sc 13-14 sts. When you reach the top of the right side you are going to work into your 12 sts again.

- Sc 12 sts, ch 1, turn. (repeat 1x times) Total = 12 sts
- Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 10 sts
- Sc 10 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 10 sts
- Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 8
- Sc 8 sts, ch 1, turn. Total = 8 sts
- Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 6
- Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 4
- Dec 1st and last sts, sc the middle, ch 1, turn. Total = 2
- Dec the last sts.
Cut off leaving enough yarn to make a loop for the buttons.
Now make 24 more cozies!

Time for the annoying part, sewing! You are going to sew a lot so get ready! First thing I started sewing was the buttons, which by the way I made my buttons myself by writing the numbers on with a pen because I couldn't find any buttons with numbers on them but if you can find some go ahead and use those. Next sew all the cozies next to each other, 5 cozies per row you make a total of 5 rows.

Lastly sew a border around your advent calender. I used a thicker yarn and bigger crochet hook. I used the same thick yarn to sew the rows together. You can also use this thick yarn to make a strap to hang your calender and you are finally done!

Now the waiting game begins!

Who's excited for the 12 days of diy?

X♥X♥
-Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Omg, this is seaux farkin' rockin'. Love Love Love this. Great colors too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! ♥

      mooeyandfriends.blogspot.com

      Delete